Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default General election

On 21/04/17 12:58, Tim Streater wrote:
In article , Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:

In article ,
Tim Streater wrote:
In article , Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:

In article ,
Tim Streater wrote:
So why wasn't there a third referendum then? or fourth? Or fifth?
Either you believe that you have a referendum and abide by the result
or don't bother.

Sigh. That referendum was *not* the will of the people. To be
certain it
was, it would need a majority of those eligible to vote.

Everyone eligible had the opportunity to vote.

You have absolutely no way of being sure of that.
Their fault if they
choose not to exercise it.

You'd likely be saying something very different if the referendum had
gone
the other way. Farage did.

Oy. **** off with that. I've already said I'd expected Remain to win
60:40, and that if they did, what would be the point in arguing about
it. And give over conflating me with St Nige, OK?

And only a complete idiot thinks this country can do well without a
trade and services agreement with the EU.

Most of the world manages it. There's nothing magic about having such
an agreement.

Most of the world hasn't just left a long standing partnership.

So what.

I see the meeja are doing scare stories about how lots of food imports
might have massive tariffs if we end up with WTO. These clowns overlook
that such tariffs would be imposed by *us*, and we don't *have* to
impose them.

You're one of those who thinks the money needed to run a country grows on
trees, then? And you can be pretty certain all those Tories in rural
areas
will seek to protect their local agriculture.

The rural areas are already competing with imports. And I don't know of
any farmers who are producing French wine, italian cheese, etc etc, all
of which avoid tariffs at the moment and which the meeja was saying
would suddenly have large tariffs on them.

Meanwhile NZ lamb and Aussie wines, which have substantial tariffs on
them now, could be made cheaper if *we* chose to make them so -
something we can't do at the minute since these are subject to the EU
external tariff.

Bring it on. Oz and NZ wines as good as their lamb.

Maybe we van get IXL jam again too.

private property.

Karl Marx