Dave Sugar

Default Well Water help

I'm looking for help solving water problems. I live in Southern New
Jersey and have a private well. The well is 60 feet deep with a 4 inch
steel shaft.

Recently our neutralizer went bad (the company tha has been servicing
it says it needs replacing). They suggested installing a salt based
softener.

Our main water problems are acidity and iron. Secondarily hardness. I
have been looking around for various salt free and chemical free
solutions and really have not found much.

Along with our iron our well was tested positive for iron bacteria.
The test was performed by a company selling water treatment equipment.
And based on what I have been reading about iron bacteria we have
symptons (red slime in our toilet tanks). But the water runs clear
from the tap. But you can taste a slight iron taste.

I have read about shock chlorinating the well. And was ready to do it
because it seamed like the only solution then I read things saying not
to do it because it could actually make the problem worse! I really
don't want to use chlorine anyway.

Raw water characteristices:
pH 5
Alkalinity 40 ppm
Chlorine 0 ppm
Hardness 3 gpg
iron 3ppm
TDS 68 ppm
nitrate 2ppm
Nitride 0ppm
copper 0 ppm
mananese 0 ppm

I don't know a level of iron bacteria just that it is present.

As far as systems I have been considering here are the three that I
have found which seem to fit my needs.

1) www.raindancewatersystems.com - iron-max plus system. Includes
chemical injection to inject chlorine (to deal with iron bacteria) and
potassium carbonate to adjust pH.

2) www.waterproblems.net - neutralizer + iron ox product. Would need
to deal with iron bacteria seperatly. I saw mention of a chlorine
pellet system that mounts on well.

3) www.waterdepotinc.com - neutralizer + chemical free iron removal
system. Again I would need to deal with iron bacteria seperatly.

Does anyone have any experience with these systems. Or suggestions for
others that may be options.

I kind of like option 1 because our old neutralizer had a tendency to
fill with iron. And with the feed pump concept it seems that wouldn't
be an issue.

I also wonder if leaving the well alone is better than chlorinating.
Just chlorinate once the water is in the house to kill iron bacteria.
Then remove iron from the water. Again if someone knows of a system
that can deal with iron bacteria and doesn't need to use chlorine - I'd
be much happier.

I also think that I should get some sort of carbon filter after the
iron filter to then remove any chlorine that is in the water. Don't
want to injest that!

Thanks for any help.
Dave Sugar