Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nightjar Nightjar is offline

Default O.T. electric cars - do they have gearboxes?

On 21-Apr-17 8:51 AM, harry wrote:
On Thursday, 20 April 2017 16:39:29 UTC+1, Brian Reay wrote:
On 19/04/2017 19:47, Murmansk wrote:
I've just been for a ride in someone's Nissan Leaf - it was impressive, so quiet and amazing acceleration.

Do electric cars have a gearbox (an automatic one I presume)? Or does the motor just run faster the faster you go? I was told by the owner the optimum speed for economy of battery usage is about 55mph.

It doesn't sound like it's changing gear.

We looked at the Tesla and were told it didn't have a gear box.

We decided against all electric, we don't like the idea of being stuck
with a 'flat' battery on a journey. The idea of stopping for 'top ups'
on a long journey is fine until you consider the practical aspects.

The practical aspects are
1. The charge point(s) are in use.
2. The charge point has been vandalised.
3. Some idiot has parked an ICE car in the charge bay.

4 The council has removed the charge points from the car park, because
nobody has been using them, which is what has been happening around here.

Colin Bignell