Posted to uk.d-i-y
harry harry is offline

Default O.T. electric cars - do they have gearboxes?

On Thursday, 20 April 2017 20:09:44 UTC+1, newshound wrote:
On 4/20/2017 6:19 PM, Tim Streater wrote:
In article ,
newshound wrote:

On 4/20/2017 5:23 PM, Tim Streater wrote:
In article , Brian Reay wrote:

On 19/04/2017 19:47, Murmansk wrote:
I've just been for a ride in someone's Nissan Leaf - it was
impressive, so
quiet and amazing acceleration.

Do electric cars have a gearbox (an automatic one I presume)? Or
does the
motor just run faster the faster you go? I was told by the owner
the optimum
speed for economy of battery usage is about 55mph.

It doesn't sound like it's changing gear.

We looked at the Tesla and were told it didn't have a gear box.

We decided against all electric, we don't like the idea of being
stuck with a 'flat' battery on a journey. The idea of stopping for
'top ups' on a long journey is fine until you consider the practical
aspects.

As a matter of interest, is anyone looking (as in considering making) a
hybrid electric? As in, rather than having a powerful petrol engine, a
less powerful electric motor, a normal size fuel tank and a smaller
battery (like my Toyota Auris), instead have a full-size electric
motor, larger battery, but with a small petrol engine and small fuel
tank?

That way one could stop anywhere to recharge or even do it on the go.

You mean like a Prius?

Which one. The Prius hybrid is just the same as my Auris hybrid.

Ah. Do you mean a Prius with a charging socket? I am almost sure I have
heard of a rechargeable electric with a small IC engine for optional
charging (but not a Prius). Maybe it was a prototype.

It's called a "Plug In Hybrid"
They are common
Eg Mitsubishi make one called PHEV.