Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default O.T. electric cars - do they have gearboxes?

On Thu, 20 Apr 2017 00:18:50 -0700 (PDT), harry
wrote:

snip

When you have owned and electric car, you won't want to go back to petrol/diesel.

snip

Hmm, I've owned an electric car for over 30 years and I'd say that
whilst it has it's merits, it still has too many limitations to be the
primary vehicle for many (even excluding the annual holiday etc).

One of it's merits is it's simplicity (not sure it would be the case
these days?). When I first got it home (on a trailer behind my IC car)
I thought I'd give it a good check over. I checked the brakes, the
lights and the battery electrolyte levels ... and that was about it.

Ok, I know most production PEV's can go faster than 30 mph and a range
greater than 20 miles but the concept / limitations are still similar.

Now, as it happened I worked only 1/4 mile from the house so one (20p)
charge would get me to work and back (and at lunchtime) for a couple
of weeks at least (assuming I didn't go anywhere else).

It was also exempt the MOT (at the time) and carried Zero Road Tax
(but you still had to have a Tax disk g), was insured at about the
same cost as the original BL Mini and obviously ignoring the initial
cost / deterioration of the batteries, had hardly any other running
costs.

Not sure how many PEVs can tow a trailer or take roof bars?

Cheers, T i m