Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default Reclaimed

On 04/20/2017 3:31 PM, wrote:

But if the siding was topped with latex or not prepped properly,
that is a problem, too. When in doubt, I call Sherwin Williams technical

division to get the right finish and the details on prep.
You may be beyond that. But personally, I wouldn't want to take off

the steel siding just because of all the work.

Thank for the considered input, Robert; appreciate it muchly.

As for "neglected", is not that what everybody does with siding once
it's up? This is, if you recall, far SW KS which is hot, mostly dry
with mucho wind and blowing dirt often entrained with same...this was
put on in the late 70s and it looked pretty good for at least first
20-25 yr; I don't recall when dad first had it repainted; it had been
done a second time not too long before we came back after he passed in
spring '99 and it's got much that is back to bare metal again. There is
no rust that I've seen and I've no data on what was used nor what prep
work was done before. I strongly suspect that part was shirked as it
was a local handy-man guy who did the work and he was, I think from what
I saw of what he was still supposedly finishing when we came back,
pretty-much incompetent.

In large part, I'm wanting the present steel removed simply for
appearances--I want the house to look much more like the old 4-square it
is/was when finished in 1916 when it had 3" Pattern 106 T&G. As noted,
I had to have some of it run when did the barn as it is simply not
obtainable any longer other than 5". I was thinking of the wide simply
owing to 12"/4 -- 3" which gives the appearance factor.

I strongly agree w/ the weight but again, this isn't new construction,
it's 100-yo SYP all on 16" centers so that's not an issue. I also would
remove the existing simply to be able to use a modern wrap as well; iirc
there was paper put down over the sheathing with a little insulation but
I wasn't here when that part of the remodel was done; I've only seen a
couple pictures taken while it was partially completed and they were not
pictures of the project but it just happens to be in the background for
a snapshot. I did the kitchen cabinets and some other interior finish
work but the exterior was completed by then...

As a sidebar, I put a product very similar to this up on a garage

about 15 years ago:

https://goo.gl/M2uvi9

I've seen some other manufactured product as you say and looks
interesting, indeed. There's nobody in town that carries anything but
the absolute most basic of things but there is a collection of all the
box stores plus an ABC distributorship in Garden City which is only 66
mi; think I'll head up that way and see what some of these actually look
like in person.

I think I've given up on the cement-board idea, though, simply for the
installation and the fact that there are just too many complaints that
the prepainted just doesn't hold up any longer than I'd expect of a
normal paint job. I did find a steel siding (don't recall manufacturer
now) that is 12"/4 bar that would fix my wide spacing look I just do not
like but it would still have the funky corner detail and all that just
doesn't "look right" on a 100-yo farm house imo.

Again, thanks for the input...I'll probably post back some further
ruminations on the project as it comes together...I'm still fussing over
how to add on a porch onto the porch that was closed in when folks did
the remodel but left us with nothing but a set of steps and no weather
protection for the occasional time when it does actually rain...I can't
raise the roof line on it to get additional width without having to also
raise lower edge of 2nd story windows and they're original leaded glass
which don't want to lose, either...