Posted to rec.woodworking
OFWW[_5_] OFWW[_5_] is offline

Default Finally Succumbed To the Barn Door Fad

On Thu, 20 Apr 2017 15:31:06 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 4/20/2017 3:03 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
OFWW writes:
On Thu, 20 Apr 2017 14:04:25 -0500, -MIKE-
wrote:

Cost of living is much lower, you keep much more of the money you earned
and you're not dealing with politicians from outer space.

One thing for sure, if they moved there then they are on the safe side
of the San Andrea's fault.

99% of california is east of the fault, including SF and the bay area.

There is no safe side of any fault, and the largest earthquake in the
continental US east of the Rockies was centered in New Madrid, Misery.

Note that the 1906 quake was felt over 6200 sq miles, while the New
Madrid quake (1811) was felt over 1 million sq miles. New Madrid is
within a hundred miles or so of Nashville (Memphis experienced level IX (Violent)
shaking!)

Personally, I'll risk the earthquake over living in tornado alley.

Tornado's Earth Quakes, and Hurricanes. I'll take tornado's over the
other two for one reason, life immediately after the event.

A tornado is very destructive as are earth quakes and hurricanes. I
have been in 5 hurricanes, the third when I was 15. I thought I was
going to die in that hurricane. Anyway it was a direct hit on the the
Corpus Christi area. It took months to to even think about having
repairs made to your home. And that was probably 20-30 thousand residences.

An earth quake is going to likely deliver the same life changing event
for tens of thousands of families.

A tornado is very selective and does not typically do damage over
thousands of square miles. Repairs can usually begin immediate.

And after a tornado you can usually guy groceries, gasoline and probably
go to work the next day for the vast majority.

Major earth quakes and hurricanes typically deliver damage with a broad
stroke, tornados, not so much.

I agree. But I prefer getting it over quick, like in an earthquake.

FWIW Harris county/ Houston, Texas has more tornadoes than any where
else in the U.S. We have had 7~8 this month. Not big ones but in
their small paths they do some destruction. At least the city goes on
with its business the next day, not so with a hurricane.