Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Toilets

On 4/20/2017 3:18 PM, philo wrote:
On 04/20/2017 12:59 PM, Retired wrote:
On 4/20/17 1:28 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 20 Apr 2017 11:35:23 -0400, Retired wrote:

On 4/20/17 9:13 AM, philo wrote:
On 04/19/2017 07:56 PM, Retired wrote:
On 4/19/17 8:38 PM, philo wrote:
A friend of mine is paying a plumber to try to rebuild her 1950's
vintage maroon toilet.

I told her to just replace the thing but she says she likes the
color,
it matches her sink and that same color is no longer available.

I decided to look on-line and was shocked to see Kohler actually has
toilets selling for as much as $6000.

(Maybe the plumber who tried to sell me a $2000 toilet last year was

Part of the problem is the lid is broken in 12 pieces, they were
planning on gluing it back together which is going to be a mess.

I guess that's not my problem though.

Maybe they could make one out of a nice piece of wood (2x10 ?) and
stain it to look nice, or paint to match ?

Because of the grain, you will find wooden toilet seats are made from
at least 4 pieces glued together.

I assumed that it is the tank lid that is broken in 12 pieces. If it is
the seat&lid then I would just buy a new wooden seat in a dark stain
color to go with the maroon.

Yes, tank lid...they seem to think they can fix it

Can be done, the result depends on the skill level and patience.
Chipping is probably the biggest challenge to overcome on the glazed
side. I hope they have done some investigating to ise the right
materials rather than just trial and error.