Posted to uk.d-i-y
bert[_7_] bert[_7_] is offline

Default Diesel scrappage

In article , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article ,
Another John wrote:
[He's obviously (a) winding people up for a little giggle to himself,
and (b) knows nothing at all about diesel engines apart from what the
London-centric media and politicians report, **all of whom know equally
****-all** as far as I can see -- except that they do often choke, in
their city centre habitats, thanks to the density of *old* diesels
clogging the place up, without proper regulation.]

Like those relatively new VW etc which fiddled the figures in the (US)
tests deliberately? And that independant tests show that many new models
produce far more pollution in practice than their test results give?

Anyway ...

I've not seen anyone yet mention the fact that modern diesels use DPFs
(diesel particulate filters) which I presume remove most of the evil
things from diesel exhausts?

The pollutant in the news at the moment is NOx. And that isn't removed by
a particulate filter. That filter is meant to stop the visible black smoke
from a hard working diesel. And anyone who does any driving at all will
have seen plenty modern diesels smoking.

They should switch to vaping.
--
bert