Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nightjar Nightjar is offline

Default O.T. electric cars - do they have gearboxes?

On 20-Apr-17 8:18 AM, harry wrote:
On Wednesday, 19 April 2017 19:47:29 UTC+1, Murmansk wrote:
I've just been for a ride in someone's Nissan Leaf - it was impressive, so quiet and amazing acceleration.

Do electric cars have a gearbox (an automatic one I presume)? Or does the motor just run faster the faster you go? I was told by the owner the optimum speed for economy of battery usage is about 55mph.

It doesn't sound like it's changing gear.

Internal combustion engines are inherently unsuitable for traction, hence the need for gearboxes/clutches etc.
Electric motors can be designed to be ideal for traction.
Max torque at zero rpm.

I could get that with a steam engine.

However this leads to skidding on moving from rest so most have some form of traction control.
Some electric cars have gearboxes but not many. Morgan was one of them.
When you have owned and electric car, you won't want to go back to petrol/diesel...

Before I even try one, somebody would have to make one that meets my
requirements: A large estate car with a 600+ mile range, able to cruise
comfortably at over 100mph (not necessarily both at the same time), with
full air conditioning, lots of electrical gadgets and capable of being
fully refilled in only a few minutes.

Colin Bignell