Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff Brian Gaff is offline

Default O.T. electric cars - do they have gearboxes?

It depends. Many do not have them and use motors driven a bit like those in
CD players with constant torque no matter ewhat speed, while others use gear
trains but motors running quite fast.
Of course hybrids are far more complicated.

The problem with quiet cars though is that crossing the road in poor
visibilityccan be very dangerous.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Murmansk" wrote in message
I've just been for a ride in someone's Nissan Leaf - it was impressive, so
quiet and amazing acceleration.

Do electric cars have a gearbox (an automatic one I presume)? Or does the
motor just run faster the faster you go? I was told by the owner the
optimum speed for economy of battery usage is about 55mph.

It doesn't sound like it's changing gear.