Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dimitrij Klingbeil Dimitrij Klingbeil is offline

Default Odd Battery Voltages

On 12.04.2017 00:03, Cursitor Doom wrote:
Hi all,

Earlier I needed to do something with my graphing calculator. It only
gets used very rarely so I wasn't surprised when it didn't switch on. I
immediately suspected the batteries, but they were fine. All the same, I
slipped in a brand new set. Still nothing. In the battery compartment
they have an arrangement of 4xAAA cells in series to give a 6V supply.
However, on checking the voltage from 'head to toe' as it were (from the
first '-' to the last '+') I got a reading of minus 3V instead of the
plus 6V I'd expected. Checked all the connections and the probes in the
right sockets and whatnot: all fine.
I'm sure I've had this issue before with a different battery appliance in
the dim and distant past but can't recall what the cause was. It's like
it's too far in the back of my mind to resurrect any more. Can anyone
assist, please?

Hi,

If the calculator happens to be a HP 50g, make sure the batteries can
supply at least 100 mA without a lot of voltage drop. When initially
switching on and checking the memory, it needs that much. Also check
if the 3V lithium cell for memory backup is still good. If not, there
can be some memory corruption issue, in which case pressing the hard
reset key with a pin should clear it.

Dimitrij