Posted to alt.home.repair
philo philo is offline

Default Windows ME

On 04/19/2017 04:38 AM, Windows ME wrote:
I installed a 10 gig harddrive, with Windows ME on it, that hadn't been used
in years and found it contains *LOTS OF GAMES*, so i've been playing old
games all evening.

Clydes Adventure is a great game, difficult, but great.
Has anyone even heard of it? I bought it way back in the late 80's as I
recall. Then theres Cosmo, Duke Nukem, Descent, Catacomb Abyss, Wolf 3D, and
*Lots More*.

Windows ME was a pretty good operating system.

I'm using Dosbox to make everything run with sound.

There's two programs called PCUSA and PCGLOBE that were two of the first
programs I ever bought that work great in Dosbox, but not in Windows, or
even dos anymore. I guess it's because of the newer CPU archeticture.

This harddrive was going to be formated and used for other things, but now
I'm going to keep it. I ordered a new maxtor 250gig harddrive today from
Ebay, for $20.00 w/ free shipping. I remember when those were $300.00.

snip

ME was not one of Microsoft's great operating systems but if your
favorite games work in it, then who cares.

The only game I play is the old win3x version of Tetris.

I run it under WINE in Linux from time to time.

I have a friend who's an avid gamer who always has to have the latest
and greatest games and some very expensive hardware.

One day I decided to have a look at one of his fancy games only to find
out they were little more than those old dos games other than fancy
graphics and sound. IMHO: a total waste.

As far as hard drives go, I recently bought a 3TB external for under
$100....I recall when an 850 meg drive was twice that much or more,