Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Diesel scrappage

"Another John" wrote in message
In article ,
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

Anyway ...

I've not seen anyone yet mention the fact that modern diesels use DPFs
(diesel particulate filters) which I presume remove most of the evil
things from diesel exhausts?

The pollutant in the news at the moment is NOx. And that isn't removed by
a particulate filter. That filter is meant to stop the visible black
smoke
from a hard working diesel. And anyone who does any driving at all will
have seen plenty modern diesels smoking.

So ... the invisible nasties in diesel are even
nastier than the invisible nasties in petrol?

Yep, NOx is the problem. Far less of it from petrol engines.

Not being argumentative - just trying to keep up.
And wondering, of course, how much my 63Reg diesel
trade-in value has fallen since I bought it last October -(

If we told you that, you'd slash your wrists and
there are clearly children reading in here }-(