Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Building a cajon: Redux

On 4/19/17 10:54 AM, Greg Guarino wrote:
I've started building the cajon. The top and bottom are 3/4
prefinished birch ply; the sides and back are 1/2". The different
thicknesses were mostly chosen because that's what I had available in
scrap lumber, but it also allowed me to feel more comfortable about
rabbeting the top and bottom to accept the side pieces and the back.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguar...7682631167556/

The rod, by the way, will have snare wires attached to it and the
knob will allow me to engage the snares or disengage them.

The back also fits into rabbets. I decided to attach it with pocket
screws for now. . If it seems like there is air leakage around the
edges, I'll either glue it or caulk the joints.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguar...7682631167556/

As predicted by some of you here, it feels more than stout enough,
even without the front piece.

Looking good.
You may be aware of this but the thicker the wood, the higher the pitch.
That's one reason for having a thinner "batter" side. Also, think about
a port. Do some reading on it. A port with usually add some low end
and resonance.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)