Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] hubops@ccanoemail.ca is offline

Default Building a cajon: Redux

On Wed, 19 Apr 2017 11:54:47 -0400, Greg Guarino
wrote:

I've started building the cajon. The top and bottom are 3/4 prefinished
birch ply; the sides and back are 1/2". The different thicknesses were
mostly chosen because that's what I had available in scrap lumber, but
it also allowed me to feel more comfortable about rabbeting the top and
bottom to accept the side pieces and the back.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguar...7682631167556/

The rod, by the way, will have snare wires attached to it and the knob
will allow me to engage the snares or disengage them.

The back also fits into rabbets. I decided to attach it with pocket
screws for now. . If it seems like there is air leakage around the
edges, I'll either glue it or caulk the joints.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguar...7682631167556/

As predicted by some of you here, it feels more than stout enough, even
without the front piece.

---

Will it have 4 feet attached ? to allow bottom
to resonate a little ?
Perhaps an easy experiment, when it's all done -
to see if it makes a difference.
John T.