Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Finally Succumbed To the Barn Door Fad

On 4/19/17 3:09 AM, wrote:
On Tuesday, April 18, 2017 at 12:04:49 PM UTC-5, -MIKE- wrote:
Ever since the TV home shows have been installing barn doors in all
remodels, the big box stores have started carrying them and the
requests for installations have been pouring in to every carpenter
in suburbia.

I figured I would wait out the fad and in 10 years I'd make a
fortune taking them out after people's frustration in using them
overcomes their overwhelming urge to be trendy. After all, they
aren't really any different than pocket doors other than the fact
that they are much easier to put back on the tracks when they slip
off.

Well, I resisted as long as I could but finally had a client who
really wanted them in a closet build-out I was doing in her
basement converted-bedroom.

I with you! I sure thought they would go away...

But I saw a home selling for about 1.1 million bucks on a video tour
of the parade of homes in a very exclusive new development, and it
had TWO of those damn things in them. They got some heavily
weathered barn wood somewhere and built them out of that. It looked
like they even took time to "weather" the nail heads. I thought
they looked awful and out of place, but the realtor's voice over
absolutely crowed over them.

The good news is your install looks nice, neat and professional. Good
job on that!

Thank you.

I have only had one client approach me about doing that for them,
and I escaped as they ran out of money by the time I did the rest of
their remodel. I have a question for you: did you hang those by
yourself? The doors look pretty heavy, just wondering.

Robert

I did hang them by myself. They are actually pretty light, considering.
I was walking through the HD lumber aisle and came across the bins of
T&G boards and they had a whole section for "knotty pine." Knowing the
look she was going for, I selected the ones with the most knots. When I
was loading them in the cart, I was amazed at how light they were.
Cheap, too. 1x6x8' was 6 bucks after tax. I think all the wood for
both doors was about $75.

A very easy build. I little bit of construction adhesive in the
grooves, clamped lightly for a few hours. Glued and nailed top stile.
Bottom stile is screwed, only, so it can be raised or lowered to adjust
for different finished flooring heights. If they crack from shrinking,
it'll just enhance the look. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)