Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] jrwalliker@gmail.com is offline

Default Fridge Query

On Wednesday, 19 April 2017 11:59:33 UTC+1, Martin Brown wrote:
On 19/04/2017 09:42, Graham C wrote:
Years ago if you looked at the back of a fridge you'd see the
condenser coils. When I was looking for a new fridge recently I
noticed that most models have the back covered with a sheet of what
looks like corrugated plastic. I assumed that this was for protection
and would be removed on installation.

Not so - my new replacement does not mention removing the back and
wouldn't be straightforward. I thought that condensers should be in
open air for efficiency. What's going on?

It may well be that the airflow with the back on is greater with than it
would be without. Chimney effect drawing cool air in at the bottom.

In normal use the thing is usually up against a wall anyway.

NB the entire back is covered apart from a 20 cm gap at the bottom
where one can see the compressor etc.

I presume there is a small gap open at the top too...

The compressor also gets warm so wants to be exposed (and you don't
really want the heat from it rising past the heat exchanger).

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

If it is a "built-in" fridge then it probably has a fan near the compressor and expects to circulate air through a vent grille in the kickboard.

John