Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff Brian Gaff is offline

Default Fridge Query

Mine is also, and it seems to be there to protect the fragile bits and
pipework. In frost free designs a lotof the heat is given out in heating an
evaporation tray at the base. I often wonder about this, as if all that
moisture goes up it is enclosed and may well rot the bits in there at some
point. also of course modern fridges seem to have very good insulation
compared with older models so probably do not need quite so much power to
keep them cold.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Graham C" wrote in message
Years ago if you looked at the back of a fridge you'd see the
condenser coils. When I was looking for a new fridge recently I
noticed that most models have the back covered with a sheet of what
looks like corrugated plastic. I assumed that this was for protection
and would be removed on installation.

Not so - my new replacement does not mention removing the back and
wouldn't be straightforward. I thought that condensers should be in
open air for efficiency. What's going on?

NB the entire back is covered apart from a 20 cm gap at the bottom
where one can see the compressor etc.

GrahamC