Posted to uk.d-i-y
Another John Another John is offline

Default Diesel scrappage

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

On 18/04/17 22:06, mechanic wrote:
On Tue, 18 Apr 2017 21:01:50 +0100, Richard wrote:

I hope you choke on your own purity.

The only choking is your kids on the NOX etc.

sanctimonius ****

[He's obviously (a) winding people up for a little giggle to himself,
and (b) knows nothing at all about diesel engines apart from what the
London-centric media and politicians report, **all of whom know equally
****-all** as far as I can see -- except that they do often choke, in
their city centre habitats, thanks to the density of *old* diesels
clogging the place up, without proper regulation.]

Anyway ...

I've not seen anyone yet mention the fact that modern diesels use DPFs
(diesel particulate filters) which I presume remove most of the evil
things from diesel exhausts?

I always avoided diesels because of the stink of the fuel, and the noise
of the engines, and the smell of the exhausts -- which I instinctively
*knew* were filthy, compared to petrol (which has nice odourless
poisons), despite governments *encouraging us* -- over decades -- to buy
diesel.

But I had to change my beloved 10-year-old Corolla recently, and I
fancied a Yeti. I *had* to buy diesel, because there was no choice at
the dealer's.

And anyway (I thought -- this is October 2016) diesel these days is
good - they've been telling us for 20 years.

So anyway (again): my 63-Reg Yeti has a DPF. But I don't have to "go
for a long drive to clean it out" -- as others have said above: if it
gets too sticky, it cleans itself: after I turn off the engine, if the
EMS data tells it to, it leaves the fan running and (somehow!!) burns
off the particulates using fuel from its own system.

When this first happened, I thought that the burning rubber smell meant
that my new Yeti was on fire. A search through the Yeti Owners' website
provided the answer, (and much relief).

I also give it a very expensive tank-full of "special" diesel every now
and again to help clean it out.

Where does all this stand against the average hammered-to-hell
10-year-old transit, or the average taxi, or the average bus, or (above
all) the millions of giant commercial diesels that deliver everything
under the sun? They are lumping all these things together. This is a
very complex problem. Rather than "Banning diesels" they should
institute roadside checks, with a car (van) crusher standing by.

John