Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bod[_3_] Bod[_3_] is offline

Default Flipping over turf

You've not explained why you want rid of the existing grass. There's
seldom any good reason to. Without yet hearing why, the most likely
options is to add soil where wanted & seed. Repeated mowing is all it
takes to remove almost all non-grasses.

My old college had wonderful lawns. When asked what the secret was,
the
gardeners would say "Just give it a close trim twice a week, every
week
mind, and after 200 years it looks like this."

That's humour of course.

Only to the extent that very few people manage such a council of
perfection with a domestic lawn. But I have read that if you close-mow
a lawn frequently, and at least once a week, preferably more often,
the coarse grasses and weeds will eventually give up and you'll be
left with a very clean lawn after a few months or so.

Agreed. My landscape gardener told me many moons ago that grass likes
being cut, but weeds don't. I just mow regularly and they eventually
disappear.

I believe it is an evolution thing. Grass grows from the bottom, which
is why they survive grazing herbivores better than broad-leaf plants,
which grow from the top.

That sounds about right.