Posted to alt.home.repair
Windows ME Windows ME is offline

Default Windows ME

I installed a 10 gig harddrive, with Windows ME on it, that hadn't been used
in years and found it contains *LOTS OF GAMES*, so i've been playing old
games all evening.

Clydes Adventure is a great game, difficult, but great.
Has anyone even heard of it? I bought it way back in the late 80's as I
recall. Then theres Cosmo, Duke Nukem, Descent, Catacomb Abyss, Wolf 3D, and
*Lots More*.

Windows ME was a pretty good operating system.

I'm using Dosbox to make everything run with sound.

There's two programs called PCUSA and PCGLOBE that were two of the first
programs I ever bought that work great in Dosbox, but not in Windows, or
even dos anymore. I guess it's because of the newer CPU archeticture.

This harddrive was going to be formated and used for other things, but now
I'm going to keep it. I ordered a new maxtor 250gig harddrive today from
Ebay, for $20.00 w/ free shipping. I remember when those were $300.00.

I also found an old external Western Digital harddrive, 1.6 gigs. It had to
be formated. All the games are backed up to it now.

Windows ME coundn't install the drivers for the onboard network card in this
modern computer, so I had to dig out the old Netgear wireless cards, that
only use WEP. The drivers were already installed. My new router doesn't even
do WEP, so I had to make a hidden SSID, with no security, to get network
running. With the hidden SSID no one should be able to even know it's there,
I hope.

Time to hit the hay. Five o'clock comes early.