Roger Grady

Default [ OT ] FRS radios / 2-way radios

George Wenzel wrote:

From the FCC web page: http://wireless.fcc.gov/services/personal/family/

"License documents are neither needed nor issued."

If you're in the USA, and it's a FRS radio, you don't need a license.
You _DO_ need a license if you're using a GMRS radio:

http://wireless.fcc.gov/services/per...generalmobile/

"The current fee for a new GMRS license is $75."

What baffles me about the FRS/GMRS situation is that the FCC is
allowing the manufacturers to sell combination radios, knowing full
well that nobody is going to apply for the GMRS license. I bought a
couple of Uniden combo radios a while back, and while the manual does
refer to GMRS needing a license it does NOT tell you which channels
are which. So even if one wanted to be law-abiding and stay off the
channels you don't have a license for, you can't find out which ones
to avoid by reading the manual that came with the radios. You have to
go somewhere else to look up which freq. are which. What this tells me
is that the FCC couldn't care less whether you get a license for GMRS.

I imagine the long-time GMRS users, who paid for the license, put up
repeaters, bought expensive radios, etc. are a bit PO'd about it all.

Roger Grady
To reply by email, remove "qlfit." from address