Posted to rec.woodworking
woodchucker[_3_] woodchucker[_3_] is offline

Default Finally Succumbed To the Barn Door Fad

On 4/18/2017 2:42 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 4/18/17 1:16 PM, Greg Guarino wrote:
On 4/18/2017 1:31 PM, Sonny wrote:
On Tuesday, April 18, 2017 at 12:04:49 PM UTC-5, -MIKE- wrote:

https://goo.gl/photos/5XhKykF8cVmz9cR68

The client enjoys finishing, so she's going do the stain or faded paint
finish of her choice, and pick out handles.

Some thoughts:
White ceiling and trim, blue left wall, pinkish floor (or is that
carpet, reflecting that pinkish hue?) and the closet wall has a (raw
wood) weathered look (gray stain/paint paneling?).

Finishing those doors in a different color might make the room
chaotic, color-wise.

Did she ask your opinion as to finishing? Do you know if the client
will try to match the weathered look, before topcoating/painting?
Soaking steel wool in vinegar will produce a solution for weathering
those doors, to match its wall (....*test some applications on
scrap). Maybe she'll repaint the wall to match whatever door color
she decides.

Looks good. Good job.

Sonny

I'm not really a fan of that type of door, although I think I may have
seen a "hide the TV" application that looked nice.

We've stayed a number of times in a fairly upscale hotel in Quebec that
has installed that sort of door on the bathrooms in a recent renovation.
I have to say that the inch and a half gap between the door and the wall
results in a certain lack of *acoustic* privacy. The door is bigger than
the opening so there's no line-of-sight into the bathroom, but I would
think that most people would prefer that bathroom sounds stay in the
bathroom.

So true. FWIW, these doors are only about 3/16" from the trim.
One issue with these doors is that you actually have to close them all
the way, manually, using your hands to stop them. There are bumpers at
the top, but the doors with "bounce" off the bumpers and when they hit
one another at the bottom.

I've seen rumors of soft-close adapters for barn door that act like
soft-close drawers in that they grab the door, slow it down, and bring
it to a soft stopped position. If I do more of these, I will look into
that option.

On a related note, my wife and I recently stayed in another hotel that
actually has a frosted glass wall between the bedroom and the shower
stall. The glass obscures detail, to be sure, but I think families with
kids might find the arrangement disconcerting.

Back when I was doing more touring as a musician, were were at a beach
town that has these changing areas with that sort of opaque sheathing.
At certain times of the day when the sun was right, you got a perfect
silhouette of whoever was inside. It was quite the tourist attraction
and a good draw for the locals, too.

I decided to have fun with my bandmates and I went inside one, but I had
hidden one of those foam pool noodles inside the enclosure. I went in
and used the pool noodle to, um... well, lets just say, "greatly
enhance" my profile.

I thought they were going to pass out from laughing so hard.

ROFL

--
Jeff