Posted to rec.woodworking
Greg Guarino[_2_] Greg Guarino[_2_] is offline

Default Finally Succumbed To the Barn Door Fad

On 4/18/2017 1:31 PM, Sonny wrote:
On Tuesday, April 18, 2017 at 12:04:49 PM UTC-5, -MIKE- wrote:

https://goo.gl/photos/5XhKykF8cVmz9cR68

The client enjoys finishing, so she's going do the stain or faded paint
finish of her choice, and pick out handles.

Some thoughts:
White ceiling and trim, blue left wall, pinkish floor (or is that carpet, reflecting that pinkish hue?) and the closet wall has a (raw wood) weathered look (gray stain/paint paneling?).

Finishing those doors in a different color might make the room chaotic, color-wise.

Did she ask your opinion as to finishing? Do you know if the client will try to match the weathered look, before topcoating/painting? Soaking steel wool in vinegar will produce a solution for weathering those doors, to match its wall (....*test some applications on scrap). Maybe she'll repaint the wall to match whatever door color she decides.

Looks good. Good job.

Sonny

I'm not really a fan of that type of door, although I think I may have
seen a "hide the TV" application that looked nice.

We've stayed a number of times in a fairly upscale hotel in Quebec that
has installed that sort of door on the bathrooms in a recent renovation.
I have to say that the inch and a half gap between the door and the wall
results in a certain lack of *acoustic* privacy. The door is bigger than
the opening so there's no line-of-sight into the bathroom, but I would
think that most people would prefer that bathroom sounds stay in the
bathroom.

On a related note, my wife and I recently stayed in another hotel that
actually has a frosted glass wall between the bedroom and the shower
stall. The glass obscures detail, to be sure, but I think families with
kids might find the arrangement disconcerting.

---