Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bartram[_2_] Chris Bartram[_2_] is offline

Default More of Mikes kittens

On 18/04/2017 09:47, T i m wrote:
On Tue, 18 Apr 2017 07:43:43 +0100, Chris Bartram
wrote:

and usenet is dying,

Really? I've not noticed this part of Usenet dying and certainly not
to the point where we need to clutter it with non OT marked kitten
crap? I'm quite happy uk.d-i-y has evolved to be a bit more open as
times have changed but *most people* (excluding the spammers, trolls
and cat_brain_mushed of course) have the decency to mark such a
blatantly off topic post as OT, even just as a courtesy.

Usenet in general is dying, sadly. Here might not be but the number of
useable groups is dwindling and the support by most ISPs is too.

I'll agree that really it should have been OT, but it's pretty obvious
you'll find nothing of interest there, huh?

so this
is one of the very few newsgroups with actual conversation?

No, there are still quite a few with 'actual conversation' and part of
the reason for that with all of them is that OT stuff is both marked
as such or simply not posted (by other than the trolls etc). Once the
noise overcomes the signal than *that* is when the n/g dies

One could argue you're adding to the noise by repeating your views: I
think most people here know them very well by now, and while I disagree
with them you're entitled to them. Life would be boring if we all held
the same opinions, but yes, noise exceeding signal is the start of the end.

and
conversation amongst a tiny (strange) minority of mainly older adult
men about kittens (ffs) could be the start of that.

I don't think there's anything strange about grown men liking kittens.
Or puppies. or $cute_animal.

People who support OT threads about kittens when it's not even marked
as OT ether don't GAS about anything or are brain mushed (so they
can't see the bigger picture).

Hell, I just like the content. OK, it should have been OT, really.

Of course, like anything it doesn't *really* matter if it only happens
once-in-a-while but accepting it without comment could be the opening
of floodgates and I'm pretty sure most people here wouldn't want that?

Plus 'some people' don't believe the (net)etiquette applies to them of
course. ;-(

I don't see much of that here, as yet, but yes, we should all try to be
good netizens.