Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Diesel scrappage

On Mon, 17 Apr 2017 14:28:01 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Surely if someone is so unwell they need to travel many miles to a large
hospital, you'd call an ambulance?

And wait the hour it'll take to arrive?

The local retained(*1) Ambulance will probably arrive in 10 minets or
so but I don't think they are allowed to transport a patient the 30+
miles to hsopital. If only because it would mean no ambulance cover
for the 2 hours (plus waiting time at A&E...) that it would be away
for. Serious cases would be transported by the air ambulance,
assuming the weather will allow it and it's not dark(*2).

(*1) Ambulance crewed by properly trained volunteers, a bit like the
retained fire stations. I think it's the only such crewed ambulance
in the country.

(*2) They may now have night flying qualifications and equipment. IF
they do it's a fairly recent addition to the GNAAS capabilties.

--
Cheers
Dave.