Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Lamb[_2_] Tim Lamb[_2_] is offline

Default Flipping over turf

In message , Chris Hogg
writes
On Mon, 17 Apr 2017 22:07:11 +0100, dennis@home
wrote:

On 17/04/2017 20:59, Chris Hogg wrote:
Then roughly level it and do the heel-walking/levelling routine
before finally sowing the seed.

Do you really need to compact it that much or will running my plate
compactor over it be enough if I wanted to redo my lawn?

I would guess it'd be ok, but try it and see. If after the compactor
treatment, it's still soft to walk on and you leave impressions of
your feet, then you need to heel-walk it.

Got to be worth a try:-)

Many years ago, I was asked by some friends to spray off and rotavate an
established lawn where they had built a house. The job looked easy
enough although there were trees and borders.

Knapsack, spray bar and Glyphosate did for the grass and 2 weeks later I
went back with a small tractor and mounted rotavator.

Big mistake! No matter how many times I went over the ground, it
remained *fluffy* from all the fibrous roots chopped up and mixed with a
little soil.

Ploughing works by parking the vegetation several inches below the new
surface and, for the old grass/cereal rotation, Autumn ploughing and
Spring planting.

Let the grass grow so you have plenty of target leaf, spray off.
Mow/remove top cover when dead. Spread your soil, compact and level.
Seed and lightly rake in. Discourage Cats and Foxes from excavating
holes:-)

--
Tim Lamb