Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bod[_3_] Bod[_3_] is offline

Default Flipping over turf

On 18/04/2017 00:47, Rod Speed wrote:

"Mr Pounder Esquire" wrote in message
news
Chris Hogg wrote:
On Mon, 17 Apr 2017 20:23:04 +0100, "Mr Pounder Esquire"
wrote:

Bazza wrote:
I want to re-do my lawn completely. Most recommendations are for the
old turf to be removed completely but I want to consider an
alternative approach and I would welcome your views.

My idea is to hire a turf cutter to cut the turf and then flip the
turf completely over. Then the plan is to spread about 2 inches of
top soil on top and then sow grass seed with a little fertiliser.

One reason for doing this is to save carrying lots of turf and
hiring a skip. I also want to raise the overall level of the lawn.

Is this plan feasible or just potty?

You think that you have problems?
I'm having a battle to the death with the bloody Dandelions in my
front garden.

You want a selective lawn weedkiller like Verdone, that you spray onto
the individual dandelion plants, as here http://tinyurl.com/kza63qs
but not necessarily from Amazon. Your local garden centre will almost
certainly have it. Only takes a few minutes to walk across the grass
and treat each weed, which will then turn up its leaves and die in a
couple of weeks.

I poke a hole into the "heart" of the swines and pour salt into the
hole. This kills them, but they come back in different places.
All the gardens near me seem to have the same infestation. Something
to do with the mild winter.

Yeah, we got that at the start of our summer after the wettest
5 months we had ever seen and a very mild winter.

Didn’t last long, only a few weeks and they were all gone without any
action at all.

Agreed. We just cut our lawns regularly and the Dandelions disappear
without faffing about with chemicals etc. Our lawns look as good as any
other lawn that do not have any Dandelions.
I personally think that Dandelions look nice, adds a bit of colour to a
lawn anyway. Such a silly little thing to worry about.