Posted to uk.d-i-y
Hankat Hankat is offline

Default Diesel scrappage

news
On 17/04/17 13:07, tim... wrote:

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Graeme wrote:
In message , Chris Hogg
writes

But particulate carbon isn't the only problem. Because of the hotter
combustion temperatures, diesels emit more NOx, which seems to be the
main point of issue ATM. I gather there may be catalytic NOx filters,
but the current fuss suggests they don't work very well.

Making a decision now is certainly difficult. We only manage 5-6,000
miles a year, minimum journey 10 miles, average 50 and, once a year,
500. All each way. I keep looking at the Dacia Duster, and have
spoken
to as many drivers as possible, and have not yet found anyone with a
bad
word to say about them, except that the diesel is preferable to the
petrol engine.

Very tempting, given the price.

If you do a small annual milage, the fuel costs may not be the major
one.

No

I don't know if it still true, but when I drove a diesel the more
frequent servicing requirements cost me more than I ever saved in fuel

I found servicing to be far less.

I havent.

Just a few filters every year. No plugs to speak of.

I havent replaced any filters at all apart from the one oil filter
in 10 years in my petrol Hyundai Getz, no plugs replaced at all.
Just the one battery too.

tim

--
*A closed mouth gathers no feet.*