Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mr Pounder Esquire Mr Pounder Esquire is offline

Default Flipping over turf

Chris Hogg wrote:
On Mon, 17 Apr 2017 21:18:12 +0100, "Mr Pounder Esquire"
wrote:

Chris Hogg wrote:
On Mon, 17 Apr 2017 20:23:04 +0100, "Mr Pounder Esquire"
wrote:

Bazza wrote:
I want to re-do my lawn completely. Most recommendations are for
the old turf to be removed completely but I want to consider an
alternative approach and I would welcome your views.

My idea is to hire a turf cutter to cut the turf and then flip the
turf completely over. Then the plan is to spread about 2 inches of
top soil on top and then sow grass seed with a little fertiliser.

One reason for doing this is to save carrying lots of turf and
hiring a skip. I also want to raise the overall level of the lawn.

Is this plan feasible or just potty?

You think that you have problems?
I'm having a battle to the death with the bloody Dandelions in my
front garden.

You want a selective lawn weedkiller like Verdone, that you spray
onto the individual dandelion plants, as here
http://tinyurl.com/kza63qs but not necessarily from Amazon. Your
local garden centre will almost certainly have it. Only takes a few
minutes to walk across the grass and treat each weed, which will
then turn up its leaves and die in a couple of weeks.

I poke a hole into the "heart" of the swines and pour salt into the
hole. This kills them, but they come back in different places.
All the gardens near me seem to have the same infestation. Something
to do with the mild winter.

Your grass probably has a lot of dandelion seeds in it, and these are
germinating. Salt will kill them, but it may also kill the grass in
that immediate area and poison the soil until it all washes through,
so you can end up with little bald patches all over it. Go for
Verdone, and make sure you pick off any dandelion flower heads before
they make 'clocks'.

Okay and thanks Sir.
This is the first year that I've had this problem. I was probably going over
the top with my Dandelion problem. I've encountered about four of them, four
too many!
Mrs Pounder Esq is not too happy with the front lawn. The fact that it has
only had the second mow of the year falls on deaf ears.