Posted to uk.d-i-y
Scott M[_2_] Scott M[_2_] is offline

Default Diesel scrappage

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 17/04/17 13:42, Capitol wrote:
Bill wrote:
£7k for a 10 y o car doesn't spell worthless to me.

To me it spells wild optimism on the part of the seller!

Not for a good top of the range disco in good shape.

The pricing of second hand Land/Range Rovers is utterly surreal compared
to other 4x4s. There is *no* such thing as a "good" one for a start. I
reckon the price is entirely held afloat by all this "best off roader by
far" nonsense[1] - it's certainly not mechanical quality as, to a man,
there's very rarely been something built in Solihull that doesn't
require endless replacement parts.

I look after various cars and Land Rover parts quality is, frankly,
crap. My favourite is various ally castings that rot away. God knows
where the got the raw stock (Fred's Scrappie probably) but they must
have given it to some local die-caster who'd never heard of any of the
modern pressurised casting processes. Rubbish, rubbish, rubbish.

[1] It always amuses me that people say BMW bought Rover for Land
Rover's "off-road" know-how. At the time there wasn't enough technology
to justify buying one car and stripping it down to see what was what,
let alone bother buying the company.

--
Scott