Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Bosch oscillating tool review

On 4/17/17 11:45 AM, wrote:
On Monday, April 17, 2017 at 10:31:14 AM UTC-5, Leon wrote:

I'm sure Robert has a better answer but tiling under the vanity
makes it easier for the next "re-do" I build my own vanities so I
simply build them the same size or larger. BUT if you are re
tiling it is not that much more trouble to cover the whole floor.

Nope. I like that one!

There is only one instance where I don't pull toilet and vanity, and
that is when it is a "landlord" job, where my client wants the work
done as cheaply as possible. Otherwise, I agree that it is best to
pull the work. Be aware that if you don't pull the cabinet, you can
have some screwy looking effects depending on the thickness of your
tile, the adhesive, the board, etc. that can creep up about an inch
depending on what you do.

I pull the cabs, baseboards and toilets for a better, cleaner
install. I don't like a funky look to it where you can feel the
cabinet height is off when you are washing your hands, the
baseboards look short, and the toilet is now part of a permanent
install from being grouted in. Besides, when you pull
everything, the tile job in a bath is a snap! A lot fewer cuts
and plenty of room to work on the floor instead of wedging yourself
in there to work. When you start your work, remember to take the
entry door off the hinges as well for the duration of the job to get
that out of your way, too. It is surprising how much faster and how
much better a job turns out when access is easy.

And as Leon said, building your own vanities has its place. If you
are aspiring to do some cabinetry, the bath is a great place to
start. A simple carcass style constructed cabinet can be quite
satisfying to build, and can give you enough cabinet experience to
be proud of yourself. A good carcass, nice facing, well fitted
doors and a drawer bank is a nice size, doable project.

Be aware that if you pull the cabinet you will need to take that new
oscillating tool and raise the holes for your plumbing in the
cabinet back the corresponding amount of your tile/substrate
thickness. Likewise, you will need to reset the top as it is no doubt
caulked in at the edges, and may need to reset a mirror.

When you do a project like this, think like a contractor. Imagine
yourself walking into the bathroom and thinking, "what would be my
very first thing to do?", make yourself a list of all the tasks
needed, form a time line, and then a final list of organization and
schedule. With that, you will leave out almost nothing, you can
always tell what needs to be done next, and where you are time-wise
in the project when your significant other says, "OK, tell me again
how much longer until I can use this bathroom again".

Robert

I retract my previous statement about not pulling the vanity.
Like you, I was thinking about the "landlord" type of job.
I forgot how annoying it is the see the shrunken toe kick and weird trim
transitions around cabinets like that.

I have to see some pretty horrendous trim/tile awkwardness every day in
my own home due to previous owners who fancied themselves "flippers"
after watching to many HGTV shows. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)