Posted to rec.woodworking
Michael[_24_] Michael[_24_] is offline

Default Bosch oscillating tool review

On Monday, April 17, 2017 at 11:45:46 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Monday, April 17, 2017 at 10:31:14 AM UTC-5, Leon wrote:

I'm sure Robert has a better answer but tiling under the vanity makes it
easier for the next "re-do" I build my own vanities so I simply build
them the same size or larger. BUT if you are re tiling it is not that
much more trouble to cover the whole floor.

Nope. I like that one!

There is only one instance where I don't pull toilet and vanity, and that is when it is a "landlord" job, where my client wants the work done as cheaply as possible. Otherwise, I agree that it is best to pull the work. Be aware that if you don't pull the cabinet, you can have some screwy looking effects depending on the thickness of your tile, the adhesive, the board, etc. that can creep up about an inch depending on what you do.

I pull the cabs, baseboards and toilets for a better, cleaner install. I don't like a funky look to it where you can feel the cabinet height is off when you are washing your hands, the baseboards look short, and the toilet is now part of a permanent install from being grouted in. Besides, when you pull everything, the tile job in a bath is a snap! A lot fewer cuts and plenty of room to work on the floor instead of wedging yourself in there to work. When you start your work, remember to take the entry door off the hinges as well for the duration of the job to get that out of your way, too. It is surprising how much faster and how much better a job turns out when access is easy.

And as Leon said, building your own vanities has its place. If you are aspiring to do some cabinetry, the bath is a great place to start. A simple carcass style constructed cabinet can be quite satisfying to build, and can give you enough cabinet experience to be proud of yourself. A good carcass, nice facing, well fitted doors and a drawer bank is a nice size, doable project.

Be aware that if you pull the cabinet you will need to take that new oscillating tool and raise the holes for your plumbing in the cabinet back the corresponding amount of your tile/substrate thickness. Likewise, you will need to reset the top as it is no doubt caulked in at the edges, and may need to reset a mirror.

When you do a project like this, think like a contractor. Imagine yourself walking into the bathroom and thinking, "what would be my very first thing to do?", make yourself a list of all the tasks needed, form a time line, and then a final list of organization and schedule. With that, you will leave out almost nothing, you can always tell what needs to be done next, and where you are time-wise in the project when your significant other says, "OK, tell me again how much longer until I can use this bathroom again".

Robert

Thanks, Robert! It's pretty great getting professional advice here. While I'm in there, I think I'll just go ahead and pull the big tub too and put in a whirlpool. Might as well do it all.

Mike