Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Bosch oscillating tool review

On 4/17/17 12:33 AM, Michael wrote:
On Sunday, April 16, 2017 at 11:08:50 PM UTC-5, -MIKE- wrote:
On 4/16/17 10:42 AM, Michael wrote:

My first use is to help me take out the OSB from under the
linoleum in the bathroom before I install 3/4 plywood, backer
board, and tile. After much consultation,I've decided not to
take out the vanity and to install tile around it. I'd be curious
what others think about that. That vanity is in there pretty
good.

Nothing wrong with that. No need to create extra work by removing
and reinstalling the same vanity just so you can say you tiled
under it.

Is there a reason you're taking out the OSB? If it's sound,
there's no reason to. As for backer board, you may want to look
into Schluter products. It's now carried at most home Depots.

Next I'm going to take out the carpet and OSB in the front room
and install 3/4 plywood, backer board, and tile. I assume the
oscillating tool will be very helpful there as well.

Front room? Is this a living room or part of the bathroom. There's
no need for cement board under tile that won't be subjected to
constant moisture. All you need is to decouple the mortar from the
wood subfloor. That can be done old-school with simple tar-paper,
or using more modern sheet products.

Mike,

I've asked the tile store people and others about using OSB and a
backer board. They all insisted that I take out the OSB and put in
3/4 plywood. I would prefer to put cement board over the OSB, of
course, but if it will prevent failure, then I'll replace the OSB.

The front room is the living room. It's currently has carpet over
OSB. I had plan to take out the OSB and replace it with plywood and
backer board, then tile. Again, that's because I'm told that's how
to do it.

Thanks,

Mike

They "whys" are as important as the "hows."
There are newer technologies available that can save you a a lot of
work, possibly money, and which may do a better job than what has always
been used.

I'm just saying make sure the conditions that require doing what they
are telling you to do actually exist in your situation.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--