Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Bosch oscillating tool review

On 4/16/17 10:42 AM, Michael wrote:
On Sunday, April 16, 2017 at 10:20:58 AM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 4/16/2017 10:42 AM, Michael wrote:

Corded will likely out last a battery powered. For me
personally the only cordless tools that I buy, then I have the
option, are drills.

Same here. I have tried a cordless circular saw, but I prefer
constant and full power. But I am wondering if people most often
prefer the mobility of a drill when they use their oscillating
tool.

Mike

Drill aside, the decision maker for me is where you use it. I
don't use the oscillating tool that often and when I do, it is 90%
in the shop, 10% in my own house and yes, we have electricity in
the house.

If I was often using it a job sites I'd go battery.

My first use is to help me take out the OSB from under the linoleum
in the bathroom before I install 3/4 plywood, backer board, and
tile. After much consultation,I've decided not to take out the vanity
and to install tile around it. I'd be curious what others think
about that. That vanity is in there pretty good.

Nothing wrong with that. No need to create extra work by removing and
reinstalling the same vanity just so you can say you tiled under it.

Is there a reason you're taking out the OSB? If it's sound, there's no
reason to. As for backer board, you may want to look into Schluter
products. It's now carried at most home Depots.

Next I'm going to take out the carpet and OSB in the front room and
install 3/4 plywood, backer board, and tile. I assume the
oscillating tool will be very helpful there as well.

Front room? Is this a living room or part of the bathroom. There's no
need for cement board under tile that won't be subjected to constant
moisture. All you need is to decouple the mortar from the wood
subfloor. That can be done old-school with simple tar-paper, or using
more modern sheet products.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)