Posted to uk.d-i-y
Capitol Capitol is offline

Default Diesel scrappage

charles wrote:
In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
I hear an MP is suggesting a scrappage scheme for diesel cars.

If there are 31 million cars on the road and 38% of them are diesel,
does he really think a £100m scheme providing an average of £8/car is
going to cut it?

especially if the car was worth quite a bit. Last year, I traded in a 3yo
Mazda estate (for a new one) and I got £15k in part exchange

That's not what it's worth, thats what a dealer is prepared to pay to
get rid of a car from his stock! Realistically, rule of thumb, a car
loses 30% of its price on sale, then a further 10% of it's price per 10K
miles per annum. At 100K miles, or 10 years, it is essentially
worthless. If you pay more than this, that's your loss.