Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default My latest project

On Sat, 15 Apr 2017 22:33:34 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Sat, 15 Apr 2017 11:51:45 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Thu, 13 Apr 2017 12:30:54 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

Larry hates dogs, so I cant bribe him with machinery to take a couple
friends home with him on his next trip down. As any dog lover
knows...he is truely mad. Shrug.

There's no arguing the "mad" thing, but you're wrong. I love dogs and
other animals. I just can't stand constant barking and/or whining
from the dogs. Almost all (95%?) dogs do the former and ALL puppies
do the latter, if not both. Quiet, well-trained dogs are few and far
between. You define "quiet" as 'barking less than half the time.' I
define it as 'any day with 1 or fewer barks or yaps in it'. Hell, I
yell back at bluejays around here on occasion, the cackling bitzes.

I had forgotten how noisy animals were until pet-sitting for a week at
my sister's house last month. The cat was quiet but constantly wanted
attention, but the love bird was a yappy, chirpy little *******. The
earplugs stayed in and the CD was off for all 6 hours of the drive
home, basking in the relative quiet.

Your sisters pets should not be used as generic standards for
comparison.

Why not? They're quieter than your dogs.

Actually...no.

Ive been home since 6:15 this morning. They barked and
whined for about a minute after I walked in the door.."Daddys HOME!!!"
and then had 5 minutes of petting scratching and tummy rubbing. That
was almost 6 hours ago. No barks, no whining from any of them since
then. In fact..only toy dogs like teacup poodles and so forth bark
much. Mine only bark if there is a stranger outside. Seriously. Ive
got at least 6 in the house at any given time, and the only way you
know they are there..is they come over to get a tummy rub or follow me
into the kitchen hoping Ill give em a snack out of the fridge. Seldom
does one hear a noise out of any of them, nor most dogs I know.

Dog owners _don't.hear.their.dogs.barking_, Gunner. Ask any owner
-while- his dog is barking. They'll say "Oh, my dog doesn't bark."
The truth is that they bark so bloody much, the dog owner turns off
his hearing by habit. Ask your neighbors, honestly, if they ever hear
your dogs bark. You can't hear 'em from L.A. I heard the barking on
and off all day when I was there last, but those inside were fairly
quiet, if you don't count nails tapping/scratching with each step. I
remember that because I was so sick with the flu right then. (Ugh,
bad memory.) Face it: pets, by nature, are noisier than most people.

Your opinion is indeed noted. On the other hand..I hear the neighbors
dogs and in chatting with them...they dont often hear mine. Shrug. But
I do train them as best as I can, given my time problems some weeks.
When work was really off..the last several years..I managed to train
some of them fairly well. A bit more than run, fetch, etc. But given
that they come and go..some of them havent been here as long as
others.

I should mention that today I did have a big barking commotion at the
back alley. 2 stray pit bulls were making great effort to tear
through the back double gate, to get to my dogs. And a couple of the
newer dogs were defending the property as best as they know how. Those
two pits have been responsible for more than a couple deaths of local
dogs and no one knows who they belong to..but they are in too good a
shape to be homeless. Animal Control has had some serious cutbacks and
we here in Poverty Acres are largely on our own.

So I got out the Sheriton Blue Streak in 5mm and shot the worst of
the two, after I went out and hollered at him and he directed his
attacks at me. If I didnt have a good stout chain link fence..he would
have been on me like stink on ****. So I gave him a hunting weight
5mm pellet right smack in the top of the skull at 5 pumps from 2 feet
away, right through the chainlink he was trying to tear through. He
went down..stayed down long enough for me to reload and put in a full
10 pumps, and check my daily carry .45......and then he and his buddy
staggered down the alley, and down into the oil ditch near the end of
the block.

Last time they were here, I found blood all over the privacy screens
in the chainlink...so one of my dogs managed to open him up. Once
they had left...my dogs all quieted right down with nothing more heard
from them since then. That was about 2:30 this afternoon. I rather
suspect I didnt kill him, they have skulls thick as a vault door and I
didnt hit him very hard, not with 5 pumps..but it did give him a nasty
headache. If I did manage to kill him...no big deal. That son of a
bitch had me backed up against the outside of my fence on my way to
the trash can, about 6 months ago, with my 45 tracking his spine for
about 3 minutes, until the wife shot his ass with a pump BB gun and
ran him off. This was the 3rd time Ive had dealings with him. The
4th..will be the last. Im NOT a big pit bull fan..not since 2 of
them attacked my wife 15 yrs ago and cost me $10k in plastic surgery
charges for reattaching her ass cheeks. Ive killed a good number of
them in the past 35 yrs, with the first one being in Coalinga, when
the neighbors pit broke though a good stout wood fence and killed my
very first dog, that Id had for 11 yrs..raised him up from a pup.
Wound him up around his chain post and ripped out his throat. I dont
like pits..never did, never will. Ever.

I dont much care to kill dogs , simply because Im a dog lover..but I
have and will again, if need be. And not feel real bad about it
afterwards. I dont kill lightly..but will I kill when necessary. And
that dog is a deader if he comes back and causes more issues. I
should have shot him today..but the .45 makes a bit of noise and I
always use a followup shot....so two bangs from a .45 in the middle of
a mild Saturday afternoon with lots of people out doing spring
yardwork would have been noticed. Shrug. The other dog that this
******* travels with is simply along for the ride and isnt of much
concern to me. But that grey *******...shrug. He manages to get in
the yard among the Australian Shepherds we rescue...its gonna be a
real mess and Im gonna get chewed up if Im home before I manage to
kill him. Id rather be chewed up than some of the old dogs. Ive got
insurance..they dont.

I worry about him managing to tear through the fence while Im on the
road though. Im gonna lose at least 1 dog, maybe two..and that will
purely hurt. Aussies are not fighters and Ive some elderly dogs who
have never had a fight in their life. Ive made a point to tell the
wife to stay inside and call the cops if they manage to bust into the
yard. Id rather lose some dogs then have her hurt again. And this one
is big and is indeed, a killer. You can see it in his eyes when he
goes into that mode. Ive been attacked by a pit and had to stab him
to death..and that takes a lot of stabbing to do, while he was trying
to chew off my arm. Leaves some nasty scars . All I could do was stuff
my arm as far in his mouth as I could and keep it there, and keep
stabbing him until he bled out and died. Hurt like a sombitch too,
for weeks afterwards. They have jaws like hydraulic clamps. One of
the few times I was carrying a K-bar. Lucky as hell I had it...my
pocket knives would have had a job to do. Im lucky as hell he couldnt
get a good solid bite going and break my arm.

We have a number of pit bulls around here, most all of them are
generally good dogs..but if they are inbred pyschpaths.....and I
suspect this one is....they can cause a LOT of issues and pain. There
are little kids in the neighborhood as well..and that concerns me even
more..though most pits will attack other dogs long long before they
will come after a child. In fact...they are pretty darned good kids
dogs all being said. But while I dont hate em...I dont much care for
them and watch each and every one of them, like a hawk.

I think these two are owned by a Mexican, he was one house down on the
other side of the alley 8 months ago, and when La Policia had a talk
with him, he moved. I thought he moved out of the neighborhood..but I
guess not. I warned him the last time, when his dogs backed me up
against the fence. No warning needed the next time.

Id be happy as hell to give you a wonderful Aussie to share your life
with. They are smart as hell, good companions and easy to get along
with, and they dont shed much.

Gunner

---