Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Basic CNC router recomendations.

On Sat, 15 Apr 2017 08:42:04 -0700, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

"Terry Coombs" on Fri, 14 Apr 2017 21:32:33 -0500
pyotr filipivich wrote:
Larry Jaques on Wed, 12 Apr 2017
20:23:36 -0700 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
On Tue, 11 Apr 2017 18:16:14 -0700, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

I'm thinking in terms of something for primarily facing slabs of
wood for high end custom tables.

Sources, plans, options?

Some day, I'll take the time to read the question first. g

The best bet is to make a drum sander. Dunno 'bout CNC for that.
Djoutube is your friend.
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...ry=drum+sander.

Thanks.

I'm going to talk with him about CNC and a router rig.

CNC is probably not necessary , except in a very basic sense .

I'm thinking along those lines. Simple XY functionality, Z can be
added later if necessary. (Yes, I am aware of the "How often do you
use it now?" issue vs "If I had it, I'd use it more.")

Move router
to limit switch in Y , which trips the X axis to move a preset distance and
send router back , where it trips a limit on the other end . Biggest
problems I see is overall levelling of the whole assembly

I see an issue in making sure the slab and the router path are
kept parallel for some value of parallel.
and keeping the router in tram - you'll want to use at least a 3" or bigger flycutter type

Which leads up to the next question - where do I get one - router
and cutter? I ask rhetorically - when I need one, I'll find one.
First I have to convince Raabobo that they need this.

I picked up a soft-start Hitachi M12VC 2.25hp woodworking router ($122
Amazon) and a set of Soigeneris precision collets ($80) for it.

--
I started out with nothing and
I still have most of it left!