Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default The reason I want the air closaer.

On Sat, 15 Apr 2017 15:16:01 -0700, wrote:

I thought I made it clear but obviously I didn't. I don't want to stop
the spindle when changing parts. The lathe's hydraulic closer will
only operate when the spindle is stopped. So the spindle must be
stopped to change parts. There isn't even a parameter I can change to
make this happen. I know because I looked and because I asked FANUC
and MIYANO. Besides the time it takes to stop the spindle it also uses
a lot of energy to start the spindle each time. I also need a dead
length collet setup. Which means that if I use my Royal air collet
closer I will also need to spend $200.00 for a Hardinge dead length
collet assembly. Plus, the Royal closer is only good for 1500 RPM. I
want 4000 RPM. Since I already have a nice dead length air closer that
I can easily mount to the spindle, an Eaton rotary union good for 4000
RPM and air at 150 PSI, a solenoid operated valve, a power supply for
the valve, and switches, all I need is a way to get power to the
spinning valve. Unless sombody has a complete air closer system good
for 4000 RPM that they want to give to me I am going to order a set of
alternator brushes for 17 bucks and make a slip ring setup.
Eric

You are on the right track - don't make it any more complicated than
necessary.