Posted to alt.home.repair
Diesel Diesel is offline

Default The Dark Side

"Terry Coombs" news Sat, 15 Apr 2017 12:06:00 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

It beckons , it does ! After a week or more of fighting Win7 to
run and be stable on not one but two completely (or nearly so)
newly built computers I installed Mint on the newest (all new
but the case and cpu) of them . Multiple crashes , blue screens
and shut downs and finally that comp wouldn't boot at all . It
shouldn't be this hard to install and update an OS !

I read the entire thread so far, so I know you aren't clear with this
post concerning Linux and Windows both crashing out on you. Although
Link Mint is up and running, it tends to be more fault tolerant than
windows with *some* hardware issues. And likewise with Windows
concerning some other hardware issues. Don't mistake that for being a
stable system.

Let's begin to rule out the obvious, if you don't mind.

Did you properly reseat the CPU and RAM? Is the CPU overheating? Did
you use any thermal paste? Did you apply too much of it?

Pending that's all okay, lets test the ram:

http://www.memtest.org/
http://www.memtest.org/#downiso

Pending that passes with flying colors....

What *exactly* do you mean by won't boot? Is it still posting? Or,
just not going into Windows? And, you are only having an issue with
Windows at this point, right? Which version of Windows did you try to
load?

Are your optical drives in good working order? Are the data cables
nice and snug without any problems? A faulty data cable can make your
life a living hell, too. And, it's not one of the first things most
people will check for, either. Is the media you used for Windows in
good condition? No scratches, fingerprints, etc.

At what point did Windows begin to have issues? During initial
install, OR, when you began loading drivers?

Which version specifically of Linux did you load? Did linux give you
any trouble installing?

Help me, help you, by answering my questions and doing what I've
asked of you, in the order I asked. I'll monitor this thread for your
response.