Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Clifford Heath Clifford Heath is offline

Default Yamaha MOXF8 keyboard, one note plays too loud!

On 16/04/17 01:23, David Farber wrote:
This Yamaha MOXF8 keyboard has one note that plays too loud when more than
the slightest of pushes is given. I moved the keypad underneath to a
diffenerent octave and the problem followed the keypad. In other words, the
note that was too loud, switched to the same note but in a different octave.
I can't see anything visually wrong with the keypad contacts. There are two
pc contacts per note. One rubber keypad contact opposite the pc contact
extends just a hair more than its adjacent rubber keypad contact. How does
this translate into detecting how loud to play a note and how do you think
this relates to the note that is too loud?

It's a dual-contact pad. One of each pair should contact before the other.

This behaviour is what happens when the early contact fails, and the
late one does not. The controller sees nothing, followed by the late
contact, so it assumes a high-velocity key-stroke and plays full volume.

Fix or replace the early contact.