Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default OS upgrades

On Thursday, April 13, 2017 at 8:45:03 PM UTC-4, Diesel wrote:

Now, if you were a computer consultant and had a client who was
upgrading a desktop system and asked if Firefox was a supported
browser that they should use, what would you tell them?

Ahh, you've rephrased your question. Cute, but, it makes no
difference.

I only rephrased it because you insist on playing word games,
when the context of the thread, the question, my post are perfectly
clear.

The first thing I'm going to ask them is what are you planning to do
with the upgrade. Is this going to be for normal every day use, OR, a
dedicated purpose? That distinction determines my response.

If you read the post, he said he was upgrading a desktop system.
That's not a CNC or an ATM. Got it now?

"Well, let's see if you are running a CNC machine......, blah,
blah, blah.... Firefox is still supported, blah blah, blah.

See above. Btw, part of the work I do is consulations...So, I'm
writing from first hand experience here. I have been the entire time.
We're in different lines of 'work', so I can see how you may have
missed that. Despite the obvious hints I dropped about it.

You have no idea what line of work I'm in or my background, fool.

I gave him the simple, correct, short answer.

Umm, actually, you told him you didn't know of any browser still
supported on XP, and, at the time, the OP didn't tell any of us what
he planned to use the 'upgraded' machine for. While I agree your
answer was a simple and short one, at the time of the OPs post, I
don't know if i'd go so far as to claim it was the correct one.

I see, so now you "don't know if it was the correct one". ROFL
Now you don't know! Then why did you post this as your first, immediate
response:

"You must not know much about the subject, then. Firefox will still
support XP until 2017. And firefox isn't exactly a 'niche' browser. "

Seems you knew then. Now you don't know! Until 2017? It's April 2017
right now!

More
details were needed in order to do that. Details you didn't ask for
or wait for the OP to provide, before you made your ignorant
comment...

ROFL. And here you are, the one now backtracking, calling me the
ignorant one? You didn't even know what year it was!

OTH, If (which is why I brought up CNC machines and plasma cutters)
the machine was being used for a dedicated purpose, it wouldn't
matter which 'version' of Windows they decided to run with, so long
as the dedicated hardware/software supported it. And, I brought up
the dedicated aspect because YOU asked me what I'd tell a client or
customer. See, the thing is, I listen to the client/customer and
determine what they intend to use the machine for,

You sure have a problem with understanding context.

Well, one of use seems to, that's for sure.

ROFL. There you go again, wandering in the wilderness. CNC? Plasma
cutters? The guy has a desktop system, try reading the post next time.