Posted to alt.home.repair
Diesel Diesel is offline

Default Now , about Linux Mint ...

Bud Frede
Fri, 14 Apr 2017
13:09:23 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

Diesel writes:

Bud Frede
Thu, 13 Apr
2017 10:34:20 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

I think that's EComStation, which is what OS/2 is being called
these days.

Ahh. That explains it. I haven't seen os/2 (or warp) since the
board was taken down for the last time, it was time for the SysOp
to attend college and it was time for me to be moving on as well.
So, I never kept up with it. I do miss those days though. Things
were so much different. a good board had something very close to
a real family. We'd goto cookouts, help each other out in person,
etc. Nothing like things are today.

I even remember a weekend I spent at my buddies house who ran the
board. It was time to do a system wide backup. He asked how much
space I had on my 486DLC/40 (yea, cyrix) along with the other
CoSysOps. We networked them with cat5 (practically unheard of
then) and did a major data backup, spanning across to other
machines so he could replace a bad hd and put the data back and
get the board back up and going. That was fun as hell man. For
all of us. Was our first time actually hands on networking the
boxes in that way. [g]

I knew quite a few people who ran boards. Other than one guy who
ran his board on a Commodore 64, they used either Desqview or
OS/2.

One of them was quite large and was PCBoard on OS/2 with multiple
nodes and quite a few phone lines. I don't remember the details,
but he actually had a separate building for the board, and
connected it to his house with thin net. (He ran the thin net
through a garden hose and buried it so it wasn't visible.)

He also had nice computer desks and computers connected to the
network for each of his kids and for his wife. It was the first
time I had seen anyone with a LAN in their house.

He didn't survive the transition to the Internet though. He
thought that he could provide some Internet services through
PCBoard and keep all of his subscribers. I told him repeatedly
that people would just want a SLIP or PPP connection so that they
were more directly connected.

He was sort of right in that AOL did much what he was doing, but
was much more successful at it. However, ISPs offering dialup
probably grabbed the majority of his customers, since BBS users
were mostly computer hobbyists, and they liked the less-controlled
experience of being a part of the net and being able to choose
what client software they used for various services, etc.

I still play nintendo on an emulator from time to time on my
linux lappies. Avoid the noid, Mike tysons super punchout; before
Nintendo re-released it without tyson. Last night, I played a
game of super mario brothers 3. If my linux machine was self
aware, it would probably seriously question the point in
emulating 8bit hardware on it's 64bit platform. As in, "seriously
dude? WTF are you doing? I'm basically idling doing this, you
know that right?" lol

I've played some of the old Apogee Commander Keen games in dosbox,

I had/still have? the regged versions. Spent a few weekends writing
saved game editors for them and Duke Nukem. Prior to the 3d editions.

and I also tried out a few games with MAME. It was kind of cool
seeing Donkey Kong and Centipede again, but you really need a
joystick to play those arcade games and I'm not that into games
that I'd buy a good joystick and set things up.

Same.

I played a lot of pinball as a teenager and when I was in college,
and played some of the arcade video games, but still preferred
pinball. When I started using personal computers, I never really
got into games; there were always too many other interesting
things to do with a computer.

Same here.
Once I learned how to code initially, it opened a whole new world for
me. The computer wasn't in control, I was. [g]