Posted to alt.home.repair
Diesel Diesel is offline

Default OS upgrades

Bud Frede
Fri, 14 Apr 2017
12:21:05 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

Diesel writes:

As far as the android phones go...I use burner phones. They
aren't associated with my name. So, google has no way of tracking
me, personally, no.

I don't think that they're operating at the personal level that
much (at least for now). Google is more interested in behaviors,
preferences, dislikes, and other things that can be applied to a
broad segment of the population.

Nor do I...

In other words, they'll treat you as a member of one or more
groups that you share characteristics with. They want to sell
advertising that's well-targeted at you and people like you, and
they want to design their apps and services so that you and people
like you will have a good experience using them so you'll spend
more time on Google properties (and they'll have more chances to
show you ads and collect even more data).

Ayep. The thing is though, I don't really use the phone for much
other than making calls.. maybe sending an occasional text message.
If I want to surf the net, etc, I have a real computer, with a real
screen, mouse, keyboard, etc for that. Well, uhh, multiple computers,
but, you get the idea.

Your use of phones not associated with your name doesn't really
change any of this, because it's what you do with your phone that
they care about and not your name so much.

They aren't getting much useful information from my activities. I
treat it like an electronic dog collar and act accordingly.