Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT? Energy tariff madness

On 13/04/2017 19:00, Chris J Dixon wrote:
Jeff Layman wrote:

Yes, I often see larger packs costing proportionally more than smaller
pack as a result of those offers. I wonder if it's due to stupidity or a
deliberate ploy. No I don't - we both know the answer!

I challenged Sainsbury's last year:

"I am puzzled about the way you organise your multibuy pricing,
when there are larger or multipacks also available. To look at
particular examples from my regular shopping list:

For quite a while you have had an offer on Sainsbury's Meusli
Fruit and Nut 750g "Buy any 2 for £4.00", which still works out
2p more expensive than the 1.5kg pack, making your on line flash
"Save Money" impossible to justify.

It is called confusion marketing.

So many people are innumerate that they buy the same sized pack every
time even when the price for a multibuy of smaller packs is cheaper!

It is clearly not always best to accept the offer, nor always to
go for the bigger pack.

Is this just some strange marketing ploy taking advantage of the
fact that not everybody has the time or inclination to do the
maths? "

Confusion marketing. Bulk buy to pay more and people fall for it.

After a few unsatisfactory emails, their final response was:

"Some of our customers prefer to purchase smaller pack items
whereas other customers prefer multibuys. By having various
offers available this allows our customers to make an informed
choice when shopping."

I contend that those lacking time, inclination or ability to do
the maths will certainly not be able to make an informed choice.

Another voluntary tax on the innumerate. Like the National Lottery.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown