Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank[_24_] Frank[_24_] is offline

Default BBQ propane for fireplace?

On 4/14/2017 12:24 PM, wrote:
On Fri, 14 Apr 2017 08:31:48 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

On Thursday, January 10, 2002 at 3:10:59 PM UTC-5, Keith Adams wrote:
We're building a house with a direct vent gas fireplace. We live in a
mild climate and use the fireplace only occasionally - maybe six times a
year - just for show, not for heat. Our builder is suggesting we
install a propane unit and fuel it with a 20 lb. BBQ-style cylinder -
the kind you can exchange at the supermarket or hardware store.
Fireplace dealers differ on whether that's a good idea. One said that
he does it all the time for demo units and it works fine. He says each
cylinder lasts about 18 hours in a 20,000 BTU fireplace. But a couple
of other dealers have said the 20 lb. tank is too small and won't
provide adequate pressure to fuel the fireplace. They recommend a
minimum of 100 gallon tank (426 lbs.).

Has anybody tried this?

Thanks.

Yes, I just did and the 20# BBQ tank works fine. I don't yet know how long the tank will last.

I'd go for a 30 lb or perhaps 2 20 or 30 lb tanks on a manifold to
reduce the probability of the tank freezing up and to provide adequate
flow (twin tanks). That's how I run mt 7500 watt generator.

I just looked at one of my barbecue tanks and it says 15.0 lbs. Propane
weighs about 4 lb/gal so obviously my tank is short over a gallon. Some
places refill by the gallon but prefilled run short. Never got a reply
on this deception from state AG but rules may be different in different
states. Bet most consumers think they are getting 5 gal of propane in
the filled 5 gal tanks.