Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Now , about Linux Mint ...

On Thu, 13 Apr 2017 18:22:46 -0500, philo wrote:

On 04/10/2017 04:56 AM, Diesel wrote:
philo news Apr 2017 13:33:20 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

What I did after I became familiar with Win9x and at the same time
I was trying to figure out Linux...

I was learning sco unix, I think it was via shell accounts prior to
my first experience with linux in the mid to late 90s. Most of the
mainframes I was gaining shall we say, unauthorized access to were
using unix....What's a bored kid with a computer to do right?

Out of all my vintage machines I think the IBM PS-2 is my
favorite,

I can't say as I found that series of machine a favorite. Very
proprietary, totally turned me off of it.

It's a 486 33 mhz but runs Win95 great!

SX or DX?

Can't recall, the machine is packed away somewhere

When we ran boards, windows 95 wasn't so hot on those
machines once you went multiline. OS/2 warp OTH, ran swell. Available
applications were very limited, and that's IBMs fault. They didn't do
anything as far as serious advertising goes. So, few developers took
it seriously. If it had IBMs support behind it, it would have rocked
the socks off anything MS was offering at the time. Especially when
you consider MS was working jointly with them until they had a
falling out. And thus was born MS own 'version' known as Windows NT.

NT3.1 was not terribly stable but from NT3.51 on it was pretty good IMHO

And the rest as they say, is history...

I also fooled with OS/2 and even have ECS running in a virtual
machine just for the heck of it

I'm not familiar with ECS.

ECS is the present incarnation of OS/2

OS/2 ran well on IBM hardware but not so well on other.

ECS seems to work better.

I keep it just as a novelty

OS/2 ran well on SOME IBM equipment. I remember it only being stable
on the microchannel machines at one time - and we had one microchannel
"close" that it worked well on. IIRC it was one out of 5 supposedly
identical boards - - -