Posted to uk.d-i-y
bert[_7_] bert[_7_] is offline

Default OT? Energy tariff madness

In article , Jeff Layman
writes
As I long-time EDF customer, I reckoned it's time I had a look at other
suppliers. I'd read somewhere that uSwitch and similar sites weren't
quite as independent as they seemed (is that right or wrong?), so went
to MoneySuperMarket to have a look, although I'm not sure that's much
better.

I eventually found myself at
http://www.moneysupermarket.com/utilities/gas-electricity-prices.aspx
to have a look at available tariffs, and couldn't believe what I was
seeing. Is that what a deregulated market is supposed to be doing?
There are over *2000* tariffs on that page!

How can anyone work their way through this insanity of tariffs? I know
there are apps and webpages designed to help you through the maze, but
should Ofgem be allowing this in the first place?

Input your usage figures and the comparison web site will sort them for
you but beware that
a there comparison is with your current suppliers variable tariff not
the one you are currently on
b all these sites take commission so will list those who pay them first.
Look for the small print to click on to show all suppliers
c not all suppliers appear on these web sites.

If you think this is a mess think what it would be like if you didn't
have internet access.
--
bert