Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT? Energy tariff madness

On 13/04/17 15:11, Martin Brown wrote:
On 13/04/2017 13:11, Jeff Layman wrote:

at the shelf labels which usually show "X pence for y grams" or
whatever, and save some time finding the cheapest, but it would still
take ages. And if that was the case for *everything* you wanted to buy,
you'd spend your whole life shopping, as probably next week the offers
would be different.

It is always amusing to look for the ones where thanks to offers you pay
more for less as a result of confusion marketing.

Yes, I often see larger packs costing proportionally more than smaller
pack as a result of those offers. I wonder if it's due to stupidity or a
deliberate ploy. No I don't - we both know the answer!

do believe that Martin Brown is quite right " The idea is to offer so
much choice consumers can't see the wood for the trees."

They are limited to four tariffs per supplier these days.

I'm not sure that's quite as straightforward as it appears. I looked at
the Ofgem pages relating to tariffs and the actual wording refers to
four *core* tariffs. These are defined - in crystal clear English - as
follows:
"The charges for supply of electricity/gas combined with all other terms
and conditions that apply, or are in any way linked, to a particular
type of contract for the supply of gas/electricity to a domestic
customer excluding certain matters such as dual fuel discounts,
variations in charges relating to payment method, appropriate surcharges
and optional additional services or products."

Once those "excluding certain matters" start appearing, the four core
tariffs soon multiply!

I think you must have found an archive of every tariff that ever was or something.

Well, it was the bottom left link "Energy price changes" at the webpage
https://www.moneysupermarket.com/gas-and-electricity/

I'd ask moneysupermarket.com for a comment but I don't want to have the
bother of unsubscribing from spam.

Use one of the price comparison sites but double check the numbers again
on the actual suppliers site before you commit to anything.

Will do. Thanks for the advice.

--

Jeff